1st Win of the Season!



First win of the season! Saturday 3rd April - Whitewebbs Spring Circuits, Hog Hill. Really enjoyed this, I lead out the sprint and won pretty convincingly so im told! Unfortunately a picture of me with my hands in the air will have to wait a little longer as I celebrated early and put them back on the bars by the time the photographer had taken the picture! Instead one above of me marking an attack by Josh Hannan who stayed with me over the easter weekend - he came down from Norwich for the races, Hog Hill is his nearest closed circuit (Only about 100miles away!!!). I have to say he was very strong - also has some very nice kit from his team City College Norwich/Extreme Sports Therapy/Specialized (doubt I got that right).

The Monday following the win was the Bill Temme Memorial - I knew with a win I would get my 15 points and with that a dispensation to ride the 3/4 races. However some bad luck, misjudgement and general mechanical supidness meant I came in a disapointing 3rd. The field wa of similar strengh and size to that of Saturday and I felt reaasonably confident in my legs - it was a slow race with only really Josh Hannan, Alan Trulove and myself doing any work to keep the pace up/putting in any decent attacks. I put in what I thought was a pretty strong attack on the flat with 5 laps to go and made a reasonalbe gap - but after assesing the situation decided on the windy day it was it may not have been best to go chargigng off on my own, after a few more revs i sat up and waited for the bunch. That lap we hit the hill way to slowly and I made a big mistake in not realising that someone would put in a solid attack - One Life Develoment Squad Rider Dante Carpenter put in a very nice attak and quickly gained an advatage over the field, I was stil recovering from covering a move juts before the climb and also didnt really think the attack waould get away to half covered half waited for eveyone else - this ended up being a very bad move. Dante soon gained a healthy lead and I started to worry about catching him before the line. The next time we hit the hill I attacked, dropping the bunch and starting my pursuit of the leader. The next time up the Hoggenburg I was about 15 Metre's back and quickly catching, I was finally starting to relax as I knew I was going to catch him. Then disaster, on the steepest part of the hill I dropped my chain and smashed my knee on the stem. I lost about 20 panicking and trying to get it on - it became jammed but I eventually managed to get going. I still had abotu 15 seconds on the bunch but Josh Hannan was now 10 seconds ahead and Dante even further. I managed to catch Josh pretty easily - I guess he knew he couldnt catch Dante by that point. As we squared up down the last straight befor the hill and then the line I dropped the chain again - game over. I got it back on without stopping, but there just wasnt time to catch up. 3rd I would normally be ok with - but it feels crap if you think you might have got 1st. New bike next race! Cant wait...