Brighton...




Very busy weekend...

Started with the last of the Southern Youth Omniums, qualifiers for the National Finals in Manchester in August. The track in Brighton is in Preston Park, an old roller blading rink it has some strange relaxed banking and a slight rise after the finishing straight. I jumped on the train at London Bridge and arrived at Preston Park station in about 45 minuets. I was looking forward to riding the track but was feeling a little weird on my Cycling Club Hackney borrowed Cinelli Vigorelli as I had not ridden it in a while. I arrived at the Track a little late and after a long gear check queue. I only managed to get about 5 laps of the track in before the race. At this point all the other riders jump on their rollers but as I had come on the train and dont actually own any I was in trouble. Although the sun was out I started the Pursuit into the wind with very cold legs, I struggled through the 2 laps, missing the disc I had been lent for the last round and the aero bars I didn't own! I ended up posting a time about 10 places lower than that of the previous round, with identical competition. I was annoyed to say the least. The next race the devils I took 5th after trying to sprint from the back of a small group and learning that when everyone is on youth gears and everyone is maxing out the gear its hard to get around people! Next the Keirin was doomed from the start as it was seeded on Pursuit times. Finally came the 15 lap Scratch (no points = rubbish!), after making the break I came in 3rd and was pretty pleased, definitely not my best result by a long way but still pulled even something out of the bag to get 10th overall, although compared to 3rd in the round before I was disappointed on the long and very packed train home!