Preston Park and Herne Hill Youth Omniums




Last weekend saw two Southern Track Omniums, qualifiers for the National Omnium Finals. The omnium, a collection of around six races, pits reliability over singular excellence, with the rider with the lowest sum of winning overall. Preston Park, Brighton, saw a close fought contest, especially after I was relegated in the first race due to an "irregular line", this made the rest of the day an uphill battle that I eventually won by the tightest of margins, .18 seconds. The day went pretty well too plan, with some windy conditions on the outdoor track the racing wasnt always the quickest, but I was pleased with my sprints and feeling ok on the track bike after a good week in the Saddle. After a long train journey home, standing the whole way, I reached home, tired from a day in the sun and in the knowledge of another early start the next day.

Sunday saw very contrasting conditions, with lots of rain at Herne Hill Velodrome in South London. The racing was on off but after a slow start I got firing and won the points and elimination race, this meant after the programme was halted three events in that I lead overall and took my second overall "win" in as many days. Legs didnt feel brilliant this weekend and I felt I lacked a little top end acceleration however was good to get on the track. Next up the Smithfield Nocturne Support Race.