Crystal Palace 12th July


Crystal Palace, in my book the most technically demanding crit in the south, possibly even the country. It is great fun and draws riders from across London. I have wanted to win the e12 cat race all this season, and after two second places in two attempts I felt it was about time I made it happen. The legs where good tonight and I was in a super aggressive mood, after watching one of my favorite riders Philipe Gilbert absolutely ripping it up in Le Tour.

The race started pretty aggressively, on what turned out to be a really cold evening, with everyone wanting to be in the break. After about ten laps two riders where dangling of the front, Jake Martin of Pendragon Le Col made the move across and after a few moments I decided I too needed to be in that move. One rider came with me, sitting on my wheel then kicking through, this got me angry and I kicked hard out of the hairpin and dropped him, soon making it across to the group ahead. We hung just ahead of the peloton for a few laps, before pulling away from the bunch.

With six laps to go, Jake Martin had put a few digs in but to no avail. I tried once and was marked pretty tightly, however It felt like the group may soon snap. I tried again and pulled away from the group, with a strong headwind bam in your face out of the hairpin, it was going to be a tough ride to the finish but I wanted to finish alone.

Four laps later and another rider had joined the break, I could see him working very hard to pull me back but I put my head down and really suffered on the last couple of laps, I preserved my lead and sprinted into the line with a nice amount of time to spare, felt good to get a win at the Palace, cant wait for my up and coming races.