Safer Cycling


Last night Bede and I were joined by Mum at a demonstration in Holborn. A few thousand (atleast) Cyclists campaigning for 'Space for Cycling' on the capitals streets, in light of the recent death of a cyclist outside Holborn tube station. This was the second fatality in a week and fourth serious incident that I have heard of involving Heavy Goods Vehicles in the same period of time. I think this particular event scared a lot of East London based cyclists in particular, myself included, who ride through Holborn on a regular basis.

Andy Waterman wrote a chilling blog on the specific situation in Holborn, highlighting the disparity between what needs to be done to protect cyclists and the actions of the authorities. I compell you to read it and join the efforts to improve infrastructure in London. As more and more people start to commute to work, and cycling generally becomes more and more popular, this problem is only going to escalate.

I find it really scary. My family and friends are out on these roads every day and so far, nothing of any sustinance has been done to protect them from the so spine chillingly obvious hazard that is huge trucks and lorries driving through the rammed, and often chaotic, streets of London. I spend so much time on these roads, whether training or travelling and the complete lack of respect for cyclists from a minority of the public and the authorities as a whole is completely unacceptable.

My thoughts summed up mid-way down the right-hand column:
In other, comparatively far less important news, I recently finish a week long ODP camp in Newport.  The whole squad working hard on the track there in the build up to the Track Worlds in Glasgow in August. I have been training in Newport for three years now and this week was the first time I have ever ridden outside in short sleeves and shorts... Remarkable.

I also raced my second British National Series of the season on Sunday in Devon, after having missed most of the rounds away racing internationally. With twenty kilometers to go I was feeling good and shaping my plans to try and take the win when my front wheel was taken from under me by the rider infront. I tried to lean against his back wheel to hold it up however on a fast part of road I couldn't hold it up and was soon having a nice lie down on the tarmac. The rider behind then rode over my legs and when I tried to stand up and couldn't, I knew my race was over... My calves are still in taters three days later, but I didnt lose too much skin which is nice. These things happen and I have been pretty lucky with crashes so far this season, so touch wood this is just a blip in that form.

This weekend I try to defend the Bath Road Race, the next round of the British national series. Onwards and upwards...